I would just like to wish everyone a joyous, profitable, and otherwise happy new year. I hope it is better than this and any other. To toast this sentiment, might I suggest a…
- .75 oz. – Bourbon Whiskey (Maker’s Mark)
- .5 oz. – Curacao (Gran Gala)
- 7-8 dashes – Aromatic Bitters (Angostura)
- 7-8 dashes – Aromatic Bitters (Peychoud’s)
- Top (4-5 oz.) – Sparkling Wine (Cava)
Stir whiskey, liqueur, and bitters with ice to cool, then top with chilled bubbly. I recomend Cava or Prosecco over the more traditional Champagne or California sparkling as the fruitier elements of Cava or Prosecco will tie it better to the orange cordial and Peychoud’s.
I would generalize that advice to all cocktails, as I find, unless you are simply mixing Champagne with crisp spirits, the fruitiness of some other European sparkling offerings works better.
Happy new year, and an easy morning after,